1. Education

Top 7 Reasons To Become A Teacher

By March 25, 2009

People become teachers for a multitude of reasons. For many people, it can even feel like a calling, more than just a job. But I think there are seven especially compelling reasons to enter the profession.

Looking back on my decision to enter the classroom, I think that all seven of these reasons (and maybe even a few more) mixed together to inspire me to enroll in my teacher credentialing program. It may sound cliche, but I especially wanted to make a difference in my community after feeling unfulfilled by pushing papers in a corporate environment.

Why did you become a teacher?

Comments

March 29, 2009 at 9:46 pm
(1) Suzie says:

I have 2 reasons: July and August

March 30, 2009 at 8:26 am
(2) Eddie Pett says:

I knew from a young age I wanted to be a teacher, passing on what I know to others, but I agree with most of the points written. I’d be lying if the pull of the summer off wasn’t a good reason, but I end up teaching summer school because I am a fish out of water when I have nothing to do. I think the flexability to do what you want (for the most part). Because I enjoy art, it is easy to throw in art projects throughout the year and it is fun for the students and myself.

Especially in these hard times, it is nice knowing that our jobs are (almost) recession proof, at least in those districts who need not cut back on things. It is also a great job to see the states if you are a nomad and unattached. I have lived in different states, teaching in different areas, and getting some great experiences with it all. To those who believe teachers have it easy, however, I say you probably wouldn’t last very long in one of today’s classrooms. You must love it to do it.

March 31, 2009 at 2:22 pm
(3) Kacey says:

I became a teacher because I wanted to convey my love of discovery to others and get kids fired up to be life-long learners. And that was very rewarding. Unfortunately, I work in a district that will be hard hit by budget cuts – in fact the entire state education system is being clobbered. Hundreds of teachers will be losing their jobs and soon. It is Not a recession-proof profession. Any time there is cuts in funding, whether due to the current economic fiasco or failed school levies or bonds, teachers and certain programs are the first to go. Except sports.

April 3, 2009 at 1:15 am
(4) Violeta Bugtong says:

Got several reasons to be a teacher.The main reason is, being a teacher I would develop youths to have better lives. Imparting essential concepts about life is a great role I would play in this world.Being a teacher, I would be able to lift some youths from their own world to the real world of mankind which is also a challenge for being a teacher.Lots of youth in this world crave for knowledge on how to survive thus I took this situation as one reason to become a teacher.Being aware that literacy is one of the solutions of poverty, I decided to become a teacher in order to be involved in literacy programs.I also believe that teachers are essential in value formation as well as moral recovery thus I have to be a teacher.

April 3, 2009 at 11:48 am
(5) Mary Ellen says:

I became a teacher because I love learning.I try to spread that passion to my students like a contagious disease.
Secondly, it is a way to personally try and make a difference in the world. Education opens up opportunities for children and builds the future generation.

April 22, 2009 at 11:22 am
(6) Riley says:

I’ve wanted to be a teacher ever since I was in the second grade. My elementary teachers always seemed to make you smile and always had opening arms, ready to listen to every word you had to say. My parents divorced before I started school and having someone to talk to and for them to listen made life seem so much easier. I thought to myself, there is always someone else who has it way worse than me and what I really need to do is to help others and stop focusing on my own problems. Right then and there i decided what I wanted to do. I’m below the age fifteen and most people look at me like I’m crazy. Reading this and many other articles help me understand my purpose to teach.

October 1, 2009 at 1:38 am
(7) Tiff says:

Anyone who says their reasons for becoming a teacher are june, july or august shouldn’t be a teacher! Thats awful! Don’t affect lives of children if you can’t do it positively. Its not JUST a job, its powerful infleunce over tomorrows leaders.

October 5, 2009 at 9:30 pm
(8) Emily says:

I am a teacher because I love working with children! Everyday is different because each day the students have something new and exciting to share with you. I love watching them take control over a subject and make comments on their own to one another. The students bring so much to the room with their individual cultural backgrounds and experiences. I love what Tiff said about teaching not just being a job. Every child in the world had a teacher, and that teacher had some influence on who they are today. Teaching is one of the most rewarding jobs, and yes, it has its challenging moments. All teachers should be proud of the work they do and realize that they are making a difference!

November 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm
(9) Margaret says:

I am not yet a teacher. However, I am a teacher assistant. I am writing a paper about why people become teachers.
I have to agree with everyone as to why I want to be a teacher. I had some great teachers, I love children and enjoy watching them learn. I love it when they finally understand a new concept. I enjoy my current job a lot, but I was encouraged by the principal and several teachers with whom I work to go on and get my degree. My children, sister and her family, most of my friends, and others have given me so much support on this journey. Learning is a lifetime experience, and I love heping others learn while I learn with them.

July 18, 2011 at 7:48 am
(10) Ulee says:

I am a teacher now. Today I took a on-the-job training. The language ask us why you became a teacher. I think it over and over again, but I got nothing. I just know that I like to work with kids. Sometimes, they made me angry. But I don’t really angry with them. They will follow me around and make me laugh. How lovely guys are!