First grade is an important school year. It is all about developing and building on the skills that students learned the previous school year. It's also an important year for students to learn to become more independent. During first grade lesson plans are geared more towards academics, such as developing reading fluency, learning how to spell, and practicing math skills.
Here are a few examples of what students should know and be able to do by the end of the school year:
- Read grade level texts with accuracy and fluency
- Retell stories, describe characters, setting, and major events
- Write about what they have read in various ways
- Use punctuation marks
- Count to 120
- Understand place value
- Tell and write time
- Use addition and subtraction within 20
To view the full list visit Common Core Standards.
Related: What You Can Expect in: 1stGrade
First grade lessons should be fun and exciting! Here are a few lesson plans for first graders:
- Telling Time with the Grouchy Lady Bug
- Map Skills Unit Plan
- 100th Day Unit Plan
- Flag Day Activities
- Easter Acrostic Poem Lesson
To visit the full list of lesson plans visit Primary grades k-3.
Connect with Janelle:
Subscribe to my free newsletter.
Photo © Flying Colors lmt Getty Images