A Journal Writing Checklist helps your students assess their own progress each time they write.
Here is a list of teacher-tested journal topics to help you get started in your journal writing routine:
- What is your favorite season? Describe how you feel during different times of the year.
- What is your favorite game? Think about indoor games, outdoor games, board games, car games, and more!
- Write about your favorite subject in school. What is your least favorite subject?
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Choose and describe at least three jobs that you think you would enjoy.
- What is your favorite holiday and why? What traditions do you and your family share?
- What qualities do you look for in a friend? How do you try to be a good friend to others?
- Have you ever had to apologize for something you did? How did you feel before and after the apology?
- Describe a typical day in your life. Use sensory detail (sight, sound, touch, smell, taste) to make your daily experience come to life.
- Describe a "fantasy" day in your life. If you could design a whole day to do anything and everything you wanted, what would you choose to do?
- If you could choose one superpower to have for a day, which would you select? Describe in detail your activities as a superhero.
- Should children have strict bedtimes? What do you think is a fair bedtime for children your age and why?
- Write about your brothers and sisters. If you don't have any, do you wish you did?
- What is more important in life: presents or people?
- What do you think is the "perfect" age to be? If you could choose one age and stay that age forever, what would you choose?
- Do you have any nicknames? Describe where the nicknames came from and what they mean to you.
- Write about what you do on the weekends. How do your weekends differ from your weekdays?
- What are your favorite foods? What are your least favorite foods? Describe how it feels to eat each of the foods.
- What is your favorite type of weather? Write about how your activities change with different types of weather.