You've completed the daunting task of grading your elementary students, now it's time to think of unique report card comments for each student in your class.
Use the following phrases and statements to help you tailor your comments for each specific student. Remember to try and provide specific comments whenever you can.
You can tweak any of the phrases below to indicate a need of improvement by adding the word "Needs to." For a more positive spin on a negative comment, list it under goals to work on. For example, if the student rushes through their work, write the following under the section "Goals to work on.": Always do best work without rushing and having to be first one finished.
Attitude & Personality
- Has a good attitude toward school.
- Is an enthusiastic learner who seems to enjoy school.
- Strives to reach his (or her) full potential.
- Shows initiative and thinks things through for himself.
- Exhibits a positive outlook and attitude in the classroom.
- Is a sweet and cooperative child.
- Is self-confident and has excellent manners.
- Is honest and trustworthy in dealings with others.
- Is developing a better attitude toward ___ grade.
- Needs to improve classroom attitude.
- ______ continues to make nice progress this year concerning...
- As we discussed in our last parent-teacher conference, ________'s attitude toward the basic skills is...
- I will continue to need your help and support in order for_____ to overcome his/her attitude and social difficulties. He/she will find school a much more pleasant place if he/she can make a positive effort in this area.
- ______'s attitude has continued to improve. Thank you for your support and cooperation.
- ______ has shown a good attitude about trying to improve in ___. I am hoping this recent interest and improvement will continue throughout the school year.
Participation & Behavior
- Remains an active learner throughout the school day.
- Is enthusiastic about participating.
- Takes an active role in discussions.
- Needs to actively participate in classroom discussion.
- Listens attentively to the responses of others.
- Is courteous and shows good manners in the classroom.
- Consistently cooperates with the teacher and other students.
- Is kind and helpful to everyone in the classroom.
- Caring, kind and eager to please.
- Needs to listen to directions.
Time Management & Work Habits
- Is well-prepared for class each day.
- Rushes through work, does not work at an appropriate pace.
- Never completes assignments in the allotted time.
- Comprehends well, but needs to work more quickly.
- puts his (or her) best effort into homework assignments.
- stays on task with little supervision.
- Is a self-motivated student.
- Sacrificing accuracy for unnecessary speed in his written work.
- Completes assignments in the time allotted.
- Avoids careless errors through attention to detail.
- Uses class time wisely.
General Learning & Social Skills
- Needs to be accepting and willing to make new friends.
- Responds well to positive praise and clear expectations.
- Is learning to be careful, cooperative, and fair.
- Works well in groups, planning and carrying out activities.
- Works democratically with peers.
- Makes little effort when not under direct supervision.
- Needs a lot of repetition and practice in order to retain information given.
- Shows self confidence in...
- Uses a variety of learning strategies to help with...
- Applies knowledge of...
- Needs more opportunities to...
- Writes clearly and with purpose.
- Seeks responsibilities and follows through.
Here are some helpful words to include in your report card comment section:
aggressive, ambitious, anxious, confident, cooperative, dependable, determined, developing, energetic, emerging, friendly, generous, happy, helpful, imaginative, improving, neat, observant, pleasant, polite, prompt, quiet, receptive, reliant, resourceful.
It is important to stress the positive attributes and list "goals to work on" to notify the parents about the negatives. Use words such as, requires, struggles, or seldom, to show when a child needs extra help.