This St. Patrick's Day encourage your students to "think green" and become creative writers. It's a great idea to use creative writing prompts to help your students express their creativity and imagination.
Here is a list of teacher-tested creative writing topics to use with your St. Patrick's Day theme:
- I found a pot of gold. What would you do if you came across a pot of gold?
- I found a four leaf clover. What would you do if you found a four leaf clover?
- Dear Leprechaun… Write a letter to a Leprechaun, tell him about yourself and ask him any questions you may have.
- Do you have a good luck charm? Describe your lucky keepsake and how it brings you luck.
- The legend of the lucky Leprechaun. Create a story about the lucky Leprechaun.
- At the end of the rainbow I found a… Describe what you saw when you got to the end of the rainbow.
- What is your favorite lucky number? Why do you feel this number is lucky for you?
- A Leprechaun visits your school and gives you a magical item. What is it? What happens to you when you touch it?
- What does your family do for St. Patrick's Day? Do you eat anything special? Describe your family traditions.
- What would you do if you woke up and found that everything that you touched turned to green? Describe how you would feel and what everyone said when they saw what you could do.
- If you could trap a Leprechaun how would you catch him? What would you do with him once you caught him? Would you let him go? Would you keep him?
- I feel lucky because… Describe why you feel lucky.
- If a Leprechaun gave you three wishes, what would they be?
- Once I gave a four leaf clover to my friend and they… Describe what happened after your friend received a four leaf clover.
- I once had Shamrock shoes and… Describe what happened to you. Where did you get them? Were they magical shoes?
- Describe a typical day as a Leprechaun. Pretend you are a Leprechaun and describe all the things that you encounter.
- On your way to school you see a rainbow and its close enough for you to touch. Describe what happens when you touch it. Do you go to another world? What happened?
- On your way to school you see a Leprechaun and he gives you a magical shamrock shake to drink. What happens to you when you drink it?
- Leaping Leprechauns! My Leprechaun lost his magical powers! Describe how it happened and what you did about it.
- How to catch a Leprechaun. Describe step-by-step how you plan to catch a Leprechaun.
Creative Writing Ideas
- Use descriptive writing questions to inspire students to write.
- Provide a journal writing checklist so they can self-evaluate their writing.
- Encourage students to write a poem about St. Patty's Day.
- Celebrate St. Patty's Day with a party! Select St. Patrick's Day recipes and have each student bring in green food or a food that's Irish.
- Plan activities and games that correlate with the theme.
- Read the story behind St. Patrick's Day.
- Have each student bring in their favorite "lucky" item for a show and tell.
- Plan an all "green" party and have each student wear green to school.
- Don't forget hats and green necklaces to complete your theme.